Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Joy of an organized home-Cleaning schedule

I have not always been a very organized person. I have always liked order but would never want to do what it took to get there. Since I have become a wife and now a mother I have had to work harder at this task of organization and have found that being organized is actually freeing and can even be fun! Today I will share the joy I have found in having a house cleaning schedule. I found most of my ideas on this from ' Confessions of an organized Homemaker' by Deniece Schofield , which is an excellent book !

When I first starting putting my home together and then tried to keep it together! It was often very discouraging. I felt like I was always cleaning, sorting, planning, rushing to come with what to make for dinner ( more on this later) and so on....now I feel like I can relax and my home is not perfect but It has order and peace. I also have more time to do the things that really matter and things I want to do! This is what my cleaning schedule looks like:

Monday- Plan my weekly menu/ grocery shopping list, making sure I am all stocked up on home supplies and add any to my list that will be out soon. Laundry.

Tuesday- Dusting. Bathroom. Order food not bought at grocery store ( we are part of a food Co-Op in which some things need to be ordered online)

Wednesday- Make baby food, wash Anna's cloth diapers.

Thursday- Floors ( I usually do a quick sweep downstairs everyday but this is the day I mop.). "Pick one spot" ( this is for that " nagging project that you always look and wish you could have the time to do ( organize a closet, switch out summer/winter clothes etc...) ) I love this one! It is so helpful!

Friday- Grocery shop/ pick up food at Co-Op, quick tidy up for the weekend.

Saturday- Run another load of cloth diapers if needed

Sunday- Rest!!

This may all seem like a lot but i mostly get it all done before lunch , if not before. Obviously this is my schedule for what my home and family needs and you would need to fit it to your family needs.
Truly doing this has been so helpful for me and the nicest part is when I sit down to relax during Anna's nap time I can rest knowing that I don't need to worry about the floors if they are little dusty because that is a job for another day!

You may be like me and not think you are very organized but give it a try for one week and I promise you will have a lot more peace in your home because things will be running more efficiently.Give it a try and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Allison! I tend to try to do too much on one day, and then am tired out the next. This is so helpful!

    Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring, dear daughter. I admire your Spirit-led discipline and modeling the image of our glorioius God who is orderly, purposeful and efficient (Gen.1-2). Very practical advice and doable. Please keep writing!

    Your biggest fan,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete